Friday, February 16, 2018

Florida School Shooting That Killed 17 People

I learned about this yesterday. I like to read my news online and I saw a topic about another school shooting that got me curious. This isn't the first time I read something about this that happened in US. Since I don't live there, I don't think I have the right to complain or say something bad about their policy which I know nothing about. All I can say though is that something about this needs changing. Something that would protect the innocent children/teens while they're in their schools. Someone needs to do something about it because this isn't really an isolated case. I've read too many of the same incident in the same country. I have families and friends there. I do want them to be safe at all times. Hopefully someone or a lot of someones will do something about this for once.

The suspect, Nikolas Cruz
Photo: WABC-TV
Based from what I learned so far, the shooter's name is Nikolas Cruz, a 19 year old former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where the tragedy also happened. The authorities said that he pulled out a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle and started shooting students/teachers everywhere. After the shooting, he discarded the rifle, a vest and ammunition in a stairwell then blended in with fleeing students and got away. He was later seen buying a drink at Subway and was arrested as he walked down a residential street.

The victims who died in this tragedy were students and faculty members ages 14-49. They also said that the suspect has a “significant” history of mental illness and possibly autistic or has a learning disability. Apparently, his mother died last year and the Sneads family took him in to live with them. The Sneads said they've seen a sign of depression in him but nothing that showed he was capable of violence. They also said that Cruz purchased the gun legally around February 2017 and that the Sneads Family allowed him to keep the gun but insisted on keeping it in a lockbox.

Currently, Cruz faces 17 counts of premeditated murder - one for each of the people he is accused of killing on Wednesday in a shooting that was captured on cellphone video by terrified students. He is being held without bond at the main Broward County jail, where he has been placed on suicide watch.

I really have no idea what's going to happen with his case but hopefully justice will be served. I feel bad for the families of the 17 people who got killed. It could happen to anyone. It could be a friend or a family member. I have no words for this. This is just too devastating because this isn't exactly the first time it happened. These victims, they deserved to live and enjoy their lives with their families. There were other tragedies similar to this one - months-years ago. Something should have been done then. It could have prevented and saved lives - maybe this recent tragedy could have been avoided. This is long overdue.

To the Florida school shooting victims, may you all rest in peace.


Aaron Feis
Jaime Guttenberg
Martin Duque
Chris Hixon
Scott Beigel
Alaina Petty
Gina Montalto
Nicholas Dworet
Joaquin Oliver
Alyssa Alhadeff
Meadow Pollack
Peter Wang
Carmen Schentrump
Cara Loughran
Alex Schachter
Luke Hoyer
Helena Ramsay

My thoughts and prayers are with their families and all those affected by the shooting that recently happened.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a personal blog so thoughtful & honest constructive comments will be very much appreciated.

If you'll just trash talk & disrespect people in this section, please just leave.

Spammers will be reported & blocked.